This job board retrieves part of its jobs from: Toronto Jobs | Emplois Montréal | IT Jobs Canada

Your last stop to finding a great job in Texas

To post a job, login or create an account |  Post a Job

Social Worker – Substance Disorder Treatment Program (SDTP)

Department of Veterans Affairs

This is a Full-time position in Houston, TX posted March 21, 2021.

* VideosVideos* DutiesHelpDutiesSummarySubstance Dependence Treatment Program provides many different services for veterans suffering from alcohol and drug addiction. Clinical programming may include individual and group counseling, referrals for residential treatment and other social service needs, referrals for medical and/or psychiatric care, opioid replacement therapy, etc.Current permanent VA employees should apply under CBST-11062037-21-LGLearn more about this agencyResponsibilities* SDTP is affiliated with the General Mental Health Clinic (GMHC) which offers a wide array of services, including outpatient assessment, medication management, evidenced- based psychotherapy, supportive therapy, specialized group therapy for Veterans to treat trauma, and case management services.* Independently performs case finding functions and outreach, identifying and screening patients for psychosocial needs.* Independently conducts diagnostic and psychosocial assessments and makes psychosocial diagnoses based on assessment.* Develops treatment plans and care coordination in collaboration with the veteran/family and with the interdisciplinary treatment team.* Independently identifies high-risk patients and provides case management services. Incumbent provides crisis intervention services, seeking to address the cause as well as the presenting complaint.* Provide individual, group, and family psychotherapy along with advanced level case management interventions used in the treatment of veterans with serious medical and psychiatric disorders* Aids with the concrete psychosocial needs of veterans* Provides services as a rotational member of the Walk-In Clinic* Aid and manage tracking tools to help engage veterans in Residential Treatment* Provide consultation and education to Veterans and their families regarding community resources, VA benefits and specialty programs, and advance directives. This includes the incumbent’s knowledge of the process for accessing and/or coordinating community-based services* Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with people from varied backgrounds.* Provide on-call services an average of one week per yearWork Schedule: M-F; 8a-430p possibility of evenings and SaturdayFinancial Disclosure Report: Not requiredTravel RequiredNot requiredSupervisory statusNoPromotion PotentialNone* Job family (Series)0185 Social WorkSimilar jobs* Community Mental Health Social Workers* Mental Health And Substance Abuse Social Workers* Mental Health Social Workers* School Social Workers* Social Workers* Social Workers, All Other* RequirementsHelpRequirementsConditions of Employment* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job* Designated and/or random drug testing may be required* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959* You may be required to serve a probationary period* Subject to a background/security investigation* Must be proficient in written and spoken English* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding processQualificationsBasic Requirements:* United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.* Education. Have a master’s degree in social work from a school of social work fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Graduates of schools of social work that are in candidacy status do not meet this requirement until the School of Social Work is fully accredited. A doctoral degree in social work may not be substituted for the master’s degree in social work. Verification of the degree can be made by going to to verify that the social work degree meets the accreditation standards for a masters of social work.* Licensure. Persons hired or reassigned to social worker positions in the GS-0185 series in VHA must be licensed or certified by a state to independently practice social work at the master’s degree level. Current state requirements may be found by going to* English Language Proficiency. Candidates must be proficient in spoken and written English to be appointed as authorized by 38 U.S.C. § 7403(f).May qualify based on being covered by the Grandfathering Provision as described in the VA Qualification Standard for this occupation (only applicable to current VHA employees who are in this occupation and meet the criteria).Preferred Experience: Experience with substance abuse treatment in individual and group therapy/counseling, and case management experience.Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidatesGS-09:Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition to the experience above, the candidate must demonstrate all of the following KSAs:(a) Ability to work with Veterans and family members from various socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, educational, and other diversified backgrounds utilizing counseling skills.(b) Ability to assess the psychosocial functioning and needs of Veterans and their family members, and to formulate and implement a treatment plan, identifying the Veterans problems, strengths, weaknesses, coping skills, and assistance needed.(c) Ability to implement treatment modalities in working with individuals, families, and groups to achieve treatment goals. This requires judgment and skill in utilizing supportive, problem solving, or crisis intervention techniques.(d) Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communicate with clients, staff, and representatives of community agencies.(e) Fundamental knowledge of medical and mental health diagnoses, disabilities, and treatment procedures. This includes acute, chronic, and traumatic illnesses/injuries; common medications and their effects/side effects; and medical terminology.GS-11:* Experience and Licensure. Appointment to the GS-11 grade level requires completion of a minimum of one year of post-MSW experience equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the field of health care or other social work-related settings, (VA or non-VA experience) and licensure or certification in a state at the independent practice level.NOTE: For appointment licensure or certification at this level please refer to paragraph 3c.OR(2) Education. In addition to meeting basic requirements, a doctoral degree in social work from a school of social work may be substituted for the required one year of professional social work experience in a clinical setting.* Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. In addition to the experience above, candidates must demonstrate all of the following KSAs:(a) Knowledge of community resources, how to make appropriate referrals to community and other governmental agencies for services, and ability to coordinates services.(b) Skill in independently conducting psychosocial assessments and treatment interventions to a wide variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, educational and other diversified backgrounds.(c) Knowledge of medical and mental health diagnoses, disabilities and treatment procedures (i.e. acute, chronic and traumatic illnesses/injuries, common medications and their effects/side effects, and medical terminology) to formulate a treatment plan.(d) Skill in independently implementing different treatment modalities in working with individuals, families, and groups who are experiencing a variety of psychiatric, medical, and social problems to achieve treatment goals.(e) Ability to provide consultation services to new social workers, social work graduate students, and other staff about the psychosocial needs of patients and the impact of psychosocial problems on health care and compliance with treatment.References: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005/120, Part II, Appendix G39 Social Worker Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-11.Physical Requirements: Performing activities such as sitting, walking, standing, bending and carrying items such as books, papers and files are required. When carrying out job related duties, it may be necessary for the incumbent to travel to MEDVAMC and/or into the community to meet with Veterans, their families, community partners, internal/external stakeholders and other representatives to complete official job related duties. The incumbent must possess a current driver’s license, adhere to all VHA/MEDVAMC directives and training requirements when operating a government vehicle to carry out official duties when deemed necessary.EducationIMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: